Review, Otterbox Defender Case for iPhone 4 (Black) (Wireless Phone Accessory)review from C. william

Otterbox Defender Case for iPhone 4 (Black)I received my Otterbox Defender for my iPhone 4 and have been testing it in order to write this review. I used the Otterbox Defender for my iPhone 3G and loved it. It provided the kind of protection that I needed for my phone since I was kind of rough on them. But with the earlier Defender case, I found some issues related to the screen and some of the port covers (mainly the charger port). This new case resolves them all. I'm happy that the Otterbox company listened and responded with this new design. It's beautiful, functional, practical -- and for all of the protection it provides from lumps and bumps, it is well worth any extra bulk that you may perceive.

For the 3-layered protection that the Otterbox Defender provides for the new iPhone 4, one would expect a lot more bulk. Not so, it's one of the beautiful things about these cases. Each layer fits perfectly on top of the other one. The silicone is engineered to hug every bevel on the plastic inner case. Both layers give complete access to all of the new button and camera configurations. So well engineered that you can tell the case was made with thought and complete precision. You may see knock-offs (as I have), but the real deal is worth the money.

There are a couple of things I noticed comparing this new Defender to the former 3G / 3GS Defender case:

- the screen protector seems to have been fixed so that the "oil bubbles" won't appear. I had the bubbles right out of the box for the former version. Seems like they fixed something or changed a material or coating. I'll update if anything to the contrary happens. No fingerprints on the screen cover either! How do they do that?

- the holster (which I never really use, honestly) makes getting the phone in and out of it a snap (literally). The holster is good because it doubles as a dock or easel to watch videos, etc. This new design clips in from the side and can snap in facing front or back with no qualms. No hard fussing with this one.

- the iPhone and case fit easily in a pocket or purse and don't add extra bulk (not like you would imagine). The silicone is made in such a way where it is not the sticky kind of silicone (the cheaper stuff that smells and has a gripping quality to it). This has no odor and easily slips out of a pocket (I saw a comment on the other review so I thought I would answer it).

- the port for the charger on the new Otterbox Defender can now accommodate non-OEM chargers with wider connectors (the older one could not). This was a hassle with non-OEM car chargers. This is no longer a problem. FIXED.

- One potential issue is although I like the patterned back (little etched diamonds), I imagine that these could be a harbinger of dust or dirt. It's easily cleaned though (just wipe it with a cloth or on your shirt sleeve). Time will have to tell on this design decision.

I'm a fan of the Otterbox and bought one originally because of sheer clumsiness. For an expensive device like an iPhone, it's worth the protection. I was initially intimidated from the case thinking it was going to be far too clunky. Not so. Like the iPhone 4 the Otterbox Defender iPhone 4 case shares the same aesthetic lines. If you have never owned a case like this before, installing the iPhone into it might take one look at directions. If you've used them before, it's the same type of clamshell/snap and silicone slip-on design.

It's a tough little case in a nice looking package. I truly appreciate the precise engineering that goes into the creation of Otterbox products, this company does what they do very well!
Gadgets by abietechno.com